Sunday, May 31, 2009

What does Ghana look like....and what am I doing here

Oh crap... it's that time again where I'm supposed to write something insightful and deep. Well I'm not feeling particularly deep right now... more tired than anything. Last night I had to sleep in an OK hotel/motel but I knew it would be a bit sketch so I brought an extra bed net. Problem was that the net was treated with something kinda nasty and was supposed to be aired out for 24 hours prior to its first use. I started airing it out at 11pm and decided that it was time to risk the fumes at 4am as it didn't stink as bad then and I was too tired to care.

I'll have a blog post about malaria next week as a number of my friends have already had the clocks cleaned by the parasite already. The part that sketches me out the most is that last weekend I spent the night sleeping next to a friend (who was on my left) that came down hard with malaria the following morning. The room didn't appear to have any skeeters so we just went to bed in our briefs. Let's just hope that any blood suckers in the room got their fill from him and didn't decided to sample me too! Hahaha... it almost seems in vain as I have been bitten maybe 10 times for sure other times and my other friend that slept on my right side that night just got treated for malaria...

Early in the week I was pissed off to find out that mosquitoes were biting thru my light (so I don't sweat to death) long sleeve shirt. Here I trying hard and it barely even matters... I was told that they couldn't do that... oh well, maybe the malaria carrying mosquitos can't bite thru my light shirts... I haven't fallen ill yet... let's just hope my doxy and army of vitamins can hold them at bay! If not, I'll be fine, it will just suck hard for a few days... I'm thinking like a nasty stomach flu experience.

Well... I'm shutting down the internet cafe again, so I will have to head out without saying anything insightful! I won't leave you with nothing though. There are two videos... one explaining my what I'm actually doing in Ghana and the other showing Ghana from the side of a bus (this video was supposed to go earlier but it would not upload so here it is now).

World Vision? Good Development in Ghana?
I've had some very interesting conversations with my coworkers regarding the work of development organizations (government and non) in Ghana. In fact, I promised my coworkers that I would share some of what my friends thought about organizations such as World Vision. Specifically, they wanted to know:
1) What people thought of World Vision
2) What people thougth of the effectiveness of our aid money.

As always, there is no correct answer and all opinions are WANTED!!! We are constantly "extracting" information from "Africans" and there really isn't as much of chance for Africans to get some info from us. If you don't want to share your opinion on the blog as a comment, send me an email adamfraserkruck@ewb.ca I promise to keep your opinion in full confidentiality.

Next week, I'll share their thoughts and responses with you!





Adam :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Adam: sent you an article from the Globe and Mail this weekend with an "outlier" spin on the whole African aid thing. Provocative.

Unknown said...

Adam, you are by far the best JF of all time. I will make a gold JF medallion and give it to you when you come back!
I don't know how you manage to find the time to put these video's up - but they are most excellent - telling me about farming, accounting and the day-to-day workings of a JF - I've been looking for this for four years and now it's here.

Big High Five,

Sias

Adam F-K said...

Thanks Gord! I will download it and read it with my coworkers this week... hope you are having a great week! The article sounds great!

Sias - Thanks for the kind words my friend! Yah... the videos are a lot of work, but if people are appreciating them and the videos are useful, then I'll keep putting them up!

Nadia said...

Regarding Sias's promise, I vow to allow him to use up all our funds so that he can make that gold JF medallion for you.

P.S. I was boasting about you to all the other presidents and N.O. staff in Toronto. I told them that we had trouble with JFs in the past and that it's gonna be good this year and they asked why I was so sure and I said: "Our JF is Adam. That's all I need to say. He's amazing." Those are pretty near the actual words too. Hehe, it seems like I'm trying to make your head big. Hugs!

Blair said...

Once again, amazing videos Adam! The narration and effort you put in to them are excellent. Thanks a million for taking the time to make them!

Adam F-K said...

Nadia
-----
Gold JF medallion! Now we are talking... any chance at platinum?

Thank you sooo much for your faith and encouragement! I won't disappoint! but yeah... my motorcycle helmet is already XXL so don't make my head any bigger!

Also, I've been thinking of things to bring back to the chapter for a gala silent auction... don't worry... it's on my radar. Will talk about it more, but if you ever see something in a video you might like, let me know!

Blairz
----
Thanks man! It does take a lot of work to put them together... but I'm SUPER happy that people are watching and appreciating them! Thanks for the extra kick in motivation.

Adam:)